Skip to main content

Spring is in the Air: New Neighborhood, Emergency Prep, Outdoor Activities

 

New Neighborhood

The City Council approved the final plat and development agreement for a new neighborhood on the west side of HWY 20 (the area in yellow below).


The preliminary plan for this development was approved years ago by the city council. For those interested in more information about the development, please view the recording of the council meeting on 3/25/2022. (The presentation and discussion begins around 42 minutes in.)

Emergency Prep

During natural disasters and other emergency situations, the city needs to be able to communicate with local, state and federal-level agencies and organizations. The city is currently working to get a ham radio system set up at city hall to make this possible.

On a related note, there is a community emergency preparedness open house at the fire station on April 5th. We encourage everyone to drop in.

Spring Outdoor Activities

With the snow pretty much gone, please be on the lookout for kids playing in the parks, and people walking, running, and riding on the roads. 

Let's keep Sugar safe!

 

 

 

 

Popular posts from this blog

Sugar Days and America250 Celebration! State-Wide Drought Declaration

Sugar Days 2026 Sugar Days is just a couple months away: June 20th.  We plan to have the traditional community breakfast 8-10am, followed by the bounce houses, rock wall, music, and vendors running through the day. We'll raffle prizes for the kids on the hour, every hour as well! This year we celebrate the 250th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, so we have some America250 activities and events we're planning this year. We applied for and received a special state grant to help fund some of our America250 Idaho activities. Some of the ideas we're considering and/or working on: Patriotic music performances by residents and choirs and bands throughout the day Dramatic speeches celebrating our nation and Idaho or reenactments of famous patriotic speeches Commemorative clothing or other tokens for participants Patriotic-themed children's parade Red, white, and blue balloons for kids Kiosk with US, Idaho, and Sugar City history information and more...

Public Information, Sewer Use Rate Increase, City Budgeting

  Public Information Recently, I was happy to see that some people notice the announcements regarding youth soccer that I occasionally post on social media.☺ (I've volunteered for the past decade or so with a local organization.) I'm not always sure those announcements for Sugar Soccer are very effective. Of course, the real reason the soccer information was screen shot and reposted, was to demonstrate to residents of Sugar City how hard it might seem to be informed regarding topics and issues being discussed and acted upon by city council. I sympathize with residents who can sometimes feel caught off guard regarding some issues coming up in city council. The mayor, council members, and city staff spend hours each week staying as informed as we can be. Understanding a proposed ordinance, development application, zone change request, or budget item can take hours of discussion and research. Sometimes we have to hear from state and other local government entities. Sometimes we ha...

Did you see this on the ballot? Sugar City Urban Renewal Agency

We have a lot of important votes to cast in the upcoming election. I hope everyone exercises their right to vote. One of the items Sugar City residents will vote on is regarding the creation of a Sugar City Urban Renewal Agency (SCURA). After considering the pros and cons of an urban renewal agency, the city council approved sending the issue to the public for a vote. I’m generally in favor of Tax Increment Financing (TIF) districts, which is a standard economic development tool used by urban renewal agencies. I’m not an accountant or expert on these matters, but let me see if I can explain my understanding of a TIF district and why I would encourage you to vote yes on the issue in November. ( The State of Idaho Code refers to TIF districts as “Revenue Allocation Areas,” but I’ll use “TIF districts.”) The intent of a TIF district is to use the property taxes from a specified area to improve that area through residential, commercial, or public development projects, which, in turn, ...