Skip to main content

Merry Christmas, Sugar City!

 

Christmas Lighting in the Park

The Christmas lights lit up in Heritage Park right on cue again this year. Thanks to the city crew who have the park and the lights looking wonderful each year. And thanks to the combined children's choir from Central and Kershaw led by Mrs. Vail.

Santa at the North Pole

We had a great turn out to visit Santa at the "North Pole"! We thank everyone who made this exciting event possible, including the special escort for Santa provided by Madison County Emergency Services. It's great that they are willing to bring in the big guy each year.

And speaking of the big guy, Santa was especially on his game this year. 

We're grateful he's willing to drop in and make Christmas time even a bit more fun for the kids and families.

Sugar City is a wonderful city, and I'm grateful to live here. We have our challenges and the occasional disagreements regarding current and future issues and topics, but we have good neighbors and good friends on every street. 

I hope this Christmas Season is a wonderful time of worship and family and friendship for all of us.

Please volunteer and help when and where you can in our city. All of us staying informed and willing to participate makes Sugar City better and better.

Merry Christmas!

Popular posts from this blog

Sugar Days and America250 Celebration! State-Wide Drought Declaration

Sugar Days 2026 Sugar Days is just a couple months away: June 20th.  We plan to have the traditional community breakfast 8-10am, followed by the bounce houses, rock wall, music, and vendors running through the day. We'll raffle prizes for the kids on the hour, every hour as well! This year we celebrate the 250th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, so we have some America250 activities and events we're planning this year. We applied for and received a special state grant to help fund some of our America250 Idaho activities. Some of the ideas we're considering and/or working on: Patriotic music performances by residents and choirs and bands throughout the day Dramatic speeches celebrating our nation and Idaho or reenactments of famous patriotic speeches Commemorative clothing or other tokens for participants Patriotic-themed children's parade Red, white, and blue balloons for kids Kiosk with US, Idaho, and Sugar City history information and more...

Public Information, Sewer Use Rate Increase, City Budgeting

  Public Information Recently, I was happy to see that some people notice the announcements regarding youth soccer that I occasionally post on social media.☺ (I've volunteered for the past decade or so with a local organization.) I'm not always sure those announcements for Sugar Soccer are very effective. Of course, the real reason the soccer information was screen shot and reposted, was to demonstrate to residents of Sugar City how hard it might seem to be informed regarding topics and issues being discussed and acted upon by city council. I sympathize with residents who can sometimes feel caught off guard regarding some issues coming up in city council. The mayor, council members, and city staff spend hours each week staying as informed as we can be. Understanding a proposed ordinance, development application, zone change request, or budget item can take hours of discussion and research. Sometimes we have to hear from state and other local government entities. Sometimes we ha...

Did you see this on the ballot? Sugar City Urban Renewal Agency

We have a lot of important votes to cast in the upcoming election. I hope everyone exercises their right to vote. One of the items Sugar City residents will vote on is regarding the creation of a Sugar City Urban Renewal Agency (SCURA). After considering the pros and cons of an urban renewal agency, the city council approved sending the issue to the public for a vote. I’m generally in favor of Tax Increment Financing (TIF) districts, which is a standard economic development tool used by urban renewal agencies. I’m not an accountant or expert on these matters, but let me see if I can explain my understanding of a TIF district and why I would encourage you to vote yes on the issue in November. ( The State of Idaho Code refers to TIF districts as “Revenue Allocation Areas,” but I’ll use “TIF districts.”) The intent of a TIF district is to use the property taxes from a specified area to improve that area through residential, commercial, or public development projects, which, in turn, ...