Skip to main content

Sunpro & Ancient Grains Progress; Christmas Lighting Celebration

 


Sunpro and Ancient Grain Facilities

It's nice to see the progress being made on two of the latest businesses to move into Sugar City. 

If you haven't heard, Sunpro is building a large complex just south of Hwy 33 and north of the junior high school. The facility will include a truss and door plant, lumber yard, and commercial store.

On the site that used to be Moody Creek Produce on 7th east, Ancient Grains is erecting the first storage and processing shed of their facility. Eventually, they expect to have a number of buildings, including a commercial location.

Christmas Light Celebration


The annual Christmas Light Celebration is this coming Monday, December 2, at 6pm at Heritage Park. 

Afterward, kids are invited to visit with Santa at the North Pole at City Hall.


I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving and is looking forward to a wonderful Christmas Season!

Popular posts from this blog

Sugar Days and America250 Celebration! State-Wide Drought Declaration

Sugar Days 2026 Sugar Days is just a couple months away: June 20th.  We plan to have the traditional community breakfast 8-10am, followed by the bounce houses, rock wall, music, and vendors running through the day. We'll raffle prizes for the kids on the hour, every hour as well! This year we celebrate the 250th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence, so we have some America250 activities and events we're planning this year. We applied for and received a special state grant to help fund some of our America250 Idaho activities. Some of the ideas we're considering and/or working on: Patriotic music performances by residents and choirs and bands throughout the day Dramatic speeches celebrating our nation and Idaho or reenactments of famous patriotic speeches Commemorative clothing or other tokens for participants Patriotic-themed children's parade Red, white, and blue balloons for kids Kiosk with US, Idaho, and Sugar City history information and more...

Public Information, Sewer Use Rate Increase, City Budgeting

  Public Information Recently, I was happy to see that some people notice the announcements regarding youth soccer that I occasionally post on social media.☺ (I've volunteered for the past decade or so with a local organization.) I'm not always sure those announcements for Sugar Soccer are very effective. Of course, the real reason the soccer information was screen shot and reposted, was to demonstrate to residents of Sugar City how hard it might seem to be informed regarding topics and issues being discussed and acted upon by city council. I sympathize with residents who can sometimes feel caught off guard regarding some issues coming up in city council. The mayor, council members, and city staff spend hours each week staying as informed as we can be. Understanding a proposed ordinance, development application, zone change request, or budget item can take hours of discussion and research. Sometimes we have to hear from state and other local government entities. Sometimes we ha...

Did you see this on the ballot? Sugar City Urban Renewal Agency

We have a lot of important votes to cast in the upcoming election. I hope everyone exercises their right to vote. One of the items Sugar City residents will vote on is regarding the creation of a Sugar City Urban Renewal Agency (SCURA). After considering the pros and cons of an urban renewal agency, the city council approved sending the issue to the public for a vote. I’m generally in favor of Tax Increment Financing (TIF) districts, which is a standard economic development tool used by urban renewal agencies. I’m not an accountant or expert on these matters, but let me see if I can explain my understanding of a TIF district and why I would encourage you to vote yes on the issue in November. ( The State of Idaho Code refers to TIF districts as “Revenue Allocation Areas,” but I’ll use “TIF districts.”) The intent of a TIF district is to use the property taxes from a specified area to improve that area through residential, commercial, or public development projects, which, in turn, ...